segunda-feira, julho 24, 2006

Três livros que em tempos li com enorme prazer













«‘Edith!’ said Margaret gently. ‘Edith!’ But as Margaret half suspected, Edith had fallen asleep. She lay curled up on the sofa in the back drawing-room in Harley Street, looking very lovely in her white muslin and blue ribbons…»

Chapter I, North and South, Elizabeth Gaskell, Penguin Books.

***********************

« For a right understanding of the life of my dear friend, Charlotte Brontë, it appears to me more necessary in her case than in most others, that the reader should be acquainted with the peculiar forms of population and society amidst which her earlier years were passed, and from which both her own and her sisters’ first impressions of human life must have been received. I shall endeavour, therefore, before proceeding further with my work, to present some idea of the character of the people of Haworth, and the surrounding districts…»

Chapter II, The Life of Charlotte Brontë, Elizabeth Gaskell, Penguin Books.


**********************

E noutro estilo e noutra época, assim começa o livro The L-Shaped Room, o primeiro de uma trilogia (The Backward Shadow, Two is Lonely) de Lynne Reid Banks, Penguin Books:


« There wasn’t much to be said for the place, really, but it had a roof over it and a door which locked from the inside, which was all I cared about just then. I didn’t even bother to take in the details − they were pretty sordid, but I didn’t notice them so they didn’t depress me; perhaps because I was already at rock-bottom. I just threw my suitcase on to the bed, took my few belongings out of it and shut them all into one drawer of the three-legged chest of drawers. Then there didn’t seem to be anything else I ought to do so I sat in the armchair and stared out of the window…»


Foto de M

2 comentários:

por um fio disse...

Gostava de ter tempo para ler o teu blog convenientemente...
Sabes que as lombadas destes livros me são familiares? Dos três que referes só não li o último. Mas os primeiros já li há alguns anos.
Mas sempre que abro a minha livreira (no Porto), toco-os com muitas saudades, às vezes abro-os para que eles sintam a carícia dos meus olhos, e algumas poucas vezes releio um capítulo ou parte de um capítulo.
Hei-de fazer este exercício (de fruição de leitura) a três livros que também me acompanham afectivamente.
Tão bom este bocadinho que passei contigo!
Bj

Anónimo disse...

Ah como gostei de ler estes livros! Ainda sinto em mim esse prazer imenso que foi lê-los. Devorei-os! Hei-de voltar a lê-los, quando acabar a pilha de livros que cada vez aumenta mais.
Fico feliz por saber que pelo menos uma pessoa partilhou comigo estes momentos.
Bj, T